How to Choose a Hospital
Get to know your local hospitals before you need them. With more than 85 hospitals in Houston, how do you choose a good one? Checking out awards and recognitions is one good way to learn more about hospitals and health systems, along with ratings by Hospital Compare, the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, The Joint Commission, The Leapfrog Group, U. S. News & World Report and Consumer Reports.
Once you’ve done your online research, ask yourself a few questions about the hospital and health system.
1. Does it benchmark and measure its performance against others across the country? Most quality-conscious health systems do, and you can find good information about quality at the links above. Hospitals recognized with awards got them because they provide quality care.
2. Does it offer a complete continuum of care? For instance, if you were to break your arm or leg, can you find emergency care, expert orthopedic surgeons and first-rate rehabilitation at the hospital? If you develop a heart condition, can you find exceptional medical care, surgical care if needed and a strong cardiac rehabilitation program? Memorial Hermann offers the full continuum of care in orthopedics and sports medicine, neuroscience, heart and vascular care, children’s health, rehabilitation, bariatric surgery, organ transplantation, cancer care, digestive health and more.
3. Is the hospital part of a comprehensive network that stretches across the greater Houston area? Some health networks, including Memorial Hermann, provide the full range of services, from care that’s easy to find in the community all the way up to highly subspecialized quaternary care.
4. Does the health system include a dedicated children’s hospital? Physicians affiliated with Children’s Memorial Hermann Hospital and Children’s Memorial Hermann Memorial City are leaders in providing diagnosis and clinical care in general pediatrics, maternal-fetal medicine, neonatal intensive care services, pediatric neuroscience and pediatric cardiovascular services.
5. Are the physicians affiliated with the hospital clinically integrated? Clinically integrated providers like those at Memorial Hermann share patient information with each other, which allows them to provide more coordinated care. To patients, that means no repeat imaging studies and lower healthcare costs.
6. Is the hospital an Accountable Care Organization (ACO)? Memorial Hermann’s clinically integrated healthcare providers use health information technology and other innovative tools to manage the care of patients, delivering a higher level of care and better clinical outcomes.
Memorial Hermann - Southwest
7. Does the hospital offer seamless transport to a Level I trauma center?Memorial Hermann Life Flight®, the only hospital-based air ambulance serving Houston and surrounding communities, transports patients to the Level I Texas Trauma Institute at Memorial Hermann-Texas Medical Center, where experts work around the clock to save lives and advance the field of emergency medicine.
8. Is the hospital linked to a facility that attracts international patients? The International Services Center at Memorial Hermann welcomes patients from around the world who seek an initial diagnosis, treatment for a diagnosed disease or disorder, a valued second opinion or an annual checkup.
9. Is the health system affiliated with a medical school? Hospitals linked to medical schools offer advanced diagnosis and treatment. The unique collaboration between Memorial Hermann and McGovern Medical School at UTHealth ensures you and your family access to excellent care, state-of-the-art technology, advanced therapies and specialized surgeries unavailable at other hospitals.
10. Does the hospital offer options for post-acute care? From advanced rehabilitation options to compassionate home care; Memorial Hermann’s scope of post-acute services is not only broad, but also the best. TIRR Memorial Hermann, the top-ranked rehabilitation hospital in the South, and the Memorial Hermann Rehabilitation Network create customized treatment plans for every patient. Backed by the technology and expertise of Memorial Hermann, our Home Care program provides patients with safe, quality care within the comfort of their home.